Welcome to the Faculty page! Here you can find current resources, events, and opportunities offered by OSL specifically for Service-Learning course instructors.
Conference and Research Grants
We support faculty members who want to integrate their work with Service-Learning. The OSL Research Grant offers a stipend to support research that incorporates Service-Learning elements. The OSL Conference Grant allows faculty to attend and present at Service-Learning-related conferences. The aim of these grants is to increase participants’ Service-Learning knowledge and experience, in order to share with their colleagues and students.
OSL Research Grant Guidelines
OSL Conference Grant Guidelines
OSL can conduct individual or group consultations, regarding how to plan and implement Service-Learning projects. If you are interested in a consultation or just have a few questions, feel free to contact us!
There are a variety of events aimed at connecting the Service-Learning community at Lingnan, such as the Annual Spring Dinner and the OSL Monthly Luncheons. Join us at these events and meet other course instructors, students, staff, and community members who are doing Service-Learning!
Trainings and Workshops
There are occasional training workshops about Service-Learning topics. Please look for OSL mass emails and on the OSL website for updates on the next workshop. Course instructors are welcome to suggest workshop topics as well.
OSL supports a journal called New Horizons in Education. You can present your research papers related to Service-Learning or other related areas in this journal by going through the normal paper review process.
In addition, OSL has several publications to update supporters and partners about our latest news; these include the Annual Report, Newsletter, and other leaflets. We also produce research articles and policy papers on the subject of Service-Learning. Lastly, we publish manuals such as the Faculty Handbook to guide others through Service-Learning Practice. You can access these publications and more by visiting the OSL office or website or the Lingnan Library.
Here are some Service-Learning publications produced by OSL and other sources that are particularly aimed at faculty:
- Faculty Handbook (Lingnan University, 2010): A guide for Service-Learning course instructors, both newcomers and seasoned practitioners.
- Service-Learning and Research Scheme Implementation Guidelines for Course Instructors (Lingnan University): A supplement to the Faculty Handbook, with more detailed guidelines about Service-Learning for course instructors.
- Service-Learning and Research Scheme: The Lingnan Model (Lingnan University, 2006): Gives an overview of the SLRS program, including structure research, implementation, and evaluation.
- Michigan Journal of Community Service-Learning: A peer-reviewed journal that publishes research, theory, and pedagogy articles related to Service-Learning in higher education.
- New Horizons in Education: The first journal to highlight Service-Learning theories, issues, practice, and experiences in the Asia-Pacific Region.
- Service-Learning in the Disciplines series (edited by Edward Zlotkowski): Offers concepts and models for practicing Service-Learning in specific academic disciplines.
- Campus Compact's Introduction to Service-Learning Toolkit : Readings and Resources for Faculty (Campus Compact, 2003)
- Civic Engagement Across the Curriculum : a Resource Book for Service-Learning Faculty in All Disciplines (Battistoni, 2002)