The Office of Service-Learning (OSL) offers learning opportunities for students through service provision, whereby students, under the guidance of course instructors and service agencies, can develop positive attitudes and concrete skills, and integrate their knowledge through participation in service-learning programmes. In Lingnan, we have begun implanting the service-learning components across the curriculum since 2004-05. Set up in May 2006, OSL seeks to provide a vital University-community link so that students can find fulfillment in academic pursuit and serving those in need. The followings are our missions:
- To promote Lingnan University’s motto “Education for Service”
- To provide reciprocal benefits to the participants and the community
- To produce a positive developmental impact on student learning and growth
- To enhance learning and teaching efficacy through Service-Learning
The specific objectives of the Service-Learning and Research Scheme (SLRS) under OSL are to:
- enrich students’ learning in academic subjects
- develop in students leadership skills as they learn to work collaboratively with community stakeholders
- promote intercultural and international understanding
- foster students’ personal growth, maturity, the examination of values and beliefs, and civic responsibility, all within the context of a community and its derived needs
- provide help to service agencies and to communities, addressing needs that would otherwise remain unmet
set academic institutions in a balanced relationship with the community that supports them and in which they are located
- advance our understanding of societies, cultures, and world issues
Our Core Values
"Ren", "Yi", "Li"， "Zhi" and "Xin" are part of the core of Confucian philosophy, which constitutes a moral code for a proper and harmonious society. In order to create a better world, we encourage our friends and partners to live out this philosophy through Service-Learning.
Ren(仁) - Benevolence
Spread love and care to those in need.
Uphold equality and fight injustice when you meet it.
Respect every human being and appreciate each person's value.
Zhi(智) – Wisdom
Apply what you have learnt to make a contribution to society.
Xin(信) – Integrity
Stay honest and upright all the time.