Hostel Arrangements and Important Information
- To help new UG students adjust to university life, it is recommended that all first year students be encouraged to reside in student hostels. Deferment mechanism for hostel residency are available to accommodate students’ special/ personal needs. Details are available at www.LN.edu.hk/ssc/hostel.
- In light of the latest situation of COVID-19, the University announced that real-time online teaching mode will be implemented in Term 1, 2020-21. Please be reminded that the design of hostels’ bathrooms, lavatories and pantries on shared basis is not ideal for preventing the contraction of COVID-19. Local students are advised to consider carefully the risk living at home against that the risk living in hostels.
- For Term 1, if student decide to stay in student hostel, please indicate at the Online Reporting System. Students should complete the user account activation and Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) so that you can receive email information and confirmation from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For Term 2, if student would like to apply for hostel, there will be a separate application exercise to be launched in Nov 2020.
- Room assignment will be done by system randomly once the application is received. Depending on the number of hostel vacancies, the University may have to close down certain floors or the entire hostel(s) to achieve cost savings. If the pandemic situation worsens in Term 1 and more hostel residents had withdrawn after check-in, student residents will be arranged to move to another floor or hostel if deem necessary.
- No refund of student hostel fees will be made for hostel withdrawal during Term 1 unless with very justifiable reasons.
Hostel Residency Policy (HRP)
- All UG students who will study in the University for four years will normally be required to reside in student hostels for two years;
- All UG senior year students who will study in the University for two years will normally be required to reside in student hostels for one year;
- To help new UG students adjust to university life, it is recommended that all first year students be encouraged to reside in student hostels.
- Exemption and/or deferment mechanisms from items a, b, and c are available to accommodate students’ special/personal needs.
- UG students applying for residency beyond the durations indicated above under items a and b will be assessed by their academic performance, leadership, community service and other forms of contributions deemed appropriate.
Hostel Application Procedures and Room Assignment
When new students accepted the offer in the Online Reporting System, please complete question 8 (Student Hostel Application) to indicate if you wish to apply for residing in student hostel in 2020/21 academic year.
- Student Services Centre Hostel Team (SSC Hostel Team) will email you to confirm if the application is successful. Hostel room and roommate allocation will be by random according to the available rooms and beds in hostel. SSC will issue the hostel fee payment note to students via email. Please make sure that you have registered for 2FA (Two-Factor Authentication) Service and with access to myLingnan Portal and Lingnan email account.
- New students are requested to settle the hostel fee by 20 Aug 2020 (JUPAS main round applicants). For applicants admitted after 18 Aug 2020, normally we shall offer one-week payment deadline for hostel fee.
Announcement of Hostel Room Assignment Result
For JUPAS/ Direct Main Round application, the hostel allocation result will be announced on 26 Aug 2020 (Wed) via your LU Mobile App account. For application received from 19 Aug 2020, the hostel allocation result will be announced when student receives the hostel fee payment note notification email.
Application for Deferment/ Exemption of Residency
For students who could not reside in student hostel, they are advised to apply for deferment/ exemption of hostel residency. Please note that all exemption applications are to be processed by the SSC Hostel Team, and the exemption of the Residency Requirement will not affect the graduation status. Please complete the online application form (LINK HERE) for application.
Hostel Check-in Procedures
New students can check-in from 2 Sept 2020 (Wed) onwards. It is advised that students should collect their Student I.D. card at the Registry before the hostel check-in. In order to reduce gatherings and maintain social distancing, students should collect the SID card by batches (on 2 Sept and 3 Sept 2020 the earliest) with the schedule suggested by SSC and REG. Hostel check-in must be completed in person.
Campus Support Office (for check-in procedures. Tel: 2616-7134)