Career Advising Services
ASEAN Internship Scheme for Hong Kong Higher Education Students
♦ Background ♦
*Programme suspended for 2020 summer due to COVID-19 pandemic.
The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region is committed to nurturing young people and to better preparing them for an increasingly globalized world. The Hong Kong Economic and Trade Office (HKETO) in Singapore launched an internship scheme in 2014 to widen Hong Kong higher education students' international perspectives and enhance bilateral relations between Hong Kong and the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN).
The internship scheme has met with very positive responses and a total of some 700 Hong Kong higher education students have joined the scheme so far in the previous five rounds. Host organisations included private companies, international organisations, academic institutions, think-tanks, arts and cultural organisations, etc.
♦ Aims ♦
The internship scheme aims to:
- provide opportunities to higher education students of Hong Kong to take up internship in ASEAN member countries;
- enable students to be exposed to the work of the relevant industries and operation of their respective host organisations, as well as the economic and socio-cultural environment of the host countries in ASEAN; and
- cultivate students as the "ambassadors" of Hong Kong in the respective host countries in ASEAN and vice versa upon return to Hong Kong, thereby enhancing mutual understanding and strengthening ties between Hong Kong and ASEAN.
♦ Programme Fee ♦
Lingnan University subsidize each Full-time UG Student with ASEAN placement a maximum subsidy of HK$10,000. (Apply only to unpaid internship.)
- Programme fee
No programme fee is required
- Estimated cost
The cost of living in ASEAN countries varies greatly. The price is also subject to accommodation type (e.g. hostel or hotel), room type, period (seasonality) and availability. In general, the predicted accommodation cost ranges from HK$1,200 to HK$6,000 a month, and spending on food or transportation ranges from HK$1000 to HK$2500 a month. All students should have relevant travel insurance. All costs to be borne by student (including visa application fee, insurance, transportation)
♦ Application ♦
- Complete the ► Online Application and submit on or before 11:59pm, 13 March 2020 (Friday).
- Programme Updates will be notified through email. Students should check email regularly.