All new LU Cards use contactless chip-based on MIFARE Plus EV2, which is the latest addition to the MIFARE Plus product family. As compared to the old smart cards on MIFARE Classic, MIFARE Plus supports Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) and symmetric key to provide enhanced security for authentication, data integrity and encryption. With the use of the largest bit size (i.e. 256 bits) for the encryption, it is practically unbreakable by brute force based on the current computing power. MIFARE Plus EV2 is also fully compliant with ISO/IEC 14443-4, which in turn is compatible with the majority of NFC devices for virtual card users.
MIFARE Plus is backward compatible and thus is able to support the smooth upgrading of the existing smart card infrastructure based on MIFARE Classic at the University. By the same token, both the existing smart cards on MIFARE Classic and the new LU Card on MIFARE Plus can co-exist in the access control platform.
Virtual LU Card
The virtual card is accessible in the Virtual Card Apps which support two modes of communication methods.
- Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE)
- supports mobile operating systems including both iOS and Android
- users need to switch on the Bluetooth feature of their mobile device, tap the device to the smart card reader and wait for the communication
- the range of communication can be adjusted for BLE through setting
- Near Field Communication NFC (Android only)
- supports communication between the mobile device and smart card reader over a distance of 4cm or less
- users need to switch on the NFC feature of their mobile device, tap the device to the smart card reader and wait for the communication
The mobile device should run on iOS 12.4.5 to 15 or Android 8 to 11.