Master of Science in Finance
- Full Time
- 1 Year
- Part Time
- Application Period
- 1 October 2019 - 31 May 2020
- Ms Sandia SIU (852) 2616-8191 mfin_admission@LN.edu.hk
Lingnan’s MSc in Finance is the right path to prepare for a career in the financial sector
A Perfect Start
The Master of Science in Finance (MSc in Finance) postgraduate programme is open to anyone interested in finance. It’s a good start for those seeking career opportunities and advancement in Hong Kong’s most prominent industry.
The Pillars of Hong Kong’s Success
“Banking and finance are the major pillars of the Hong Kong economy, so the demand for professionals with a finance background, and a knowledge of the industry has always been steady. Employment opportunities are continuing to grow,” says Professor Stan Ho, an instructor with years of industrial experience. “With China’s economic growth, and its initiatives like Belt and Road, Hong Kong has been able to leverage its integration with China. Stock Connect and Bond Connect, for instance, have contributed to the internationalisation of Chinese companies and the yuan,” says Ho. “The banking and finance industry is expected to continue to grow in terms of the sector’s contribution to Hong Kong’s GDP over the next several years. So employment in the sector will likely increase,” says Ho.
Open Learning Leads to Open Opportunities
The Master of Science in Finance, which is offered by the Department of Finance and Insurance (F&I), is designed to help students become finance professionals through cutting-edge learning and curriculum design. “Our programme is friendly, open to students from all academic backgrounds and cultures, as long as they have a genuine interest in finance, and have demonstrated their potential and determination to complete the programme,” says Professor Joseph Cheng, the Master of Science in Finance Programme Director. “Students without a finance background can enroll in intensive pre-entry courses which are very comprehensive. We strive to provide individual care for our students through tutoring and relationship building. It is our goal to help our students succeed in their chosen profession, as well as in their personal life,” says Cheng.
The Master of Science in Finance degree covers the major areas of finance, with an emphasis on fundamental principles and professional practice. These include asset pricing, commercial and investment banking, corporate finance, financial engineering, insurance, investments, risk management, and wealth management. The inclusion of electives increases the appeal of the degree to students and potential employers alike.
Meeting the Needs of Employers
Ho says the Master of Science in Finance programme takes a practical approach, and is in sync with the latest trends in the industry. “The programme is constantly adapting to reflect new developments,” Ho says. “Over the next several years, it is expected that Chinese companies and local governments (and their local government financing vehicles) will continue to have funding needs. So the banking and financial profession needs to have a solid knowledge of the different funding tools available, as well as an understanding of the banking and financial system in China,” Ho says. “Employers will continue to seek candidates who have strong analytical skills for finance roles. They will be looking for people who can communicate clearly and effectively, and are able to relate to others in a positive way. The Master of Science in Finance programme will also sharpen communication skills, as the students have the opportunity to present their projects in class.”
“Banking and financial regulations, including Basel and AML/FCC, are becoming more important, and banks are expanding their compliance sections. Some of our courses cover topics which specifically relate to the compliance functions, and banking regulations, in relation to Asia and Hong Kong. This gives students the knowledge and skills to deal with the regulatory aspects of their future career in banking and finance.”
Networking and Speakers from Finance Industry
Lingnan University is one of the few universities that emphasises a whole-person education. Along with knowledge transfer, networking is a focus of Lingnan education. “We invite speakers from the industry into the classroom, so students can interact and network with experienced professionals from investment banking, equity and credit analysis, financial product sales, and those involved in back-office functions,” Cheng says.
Special Features of Master of Science in Finance
- The degree is ideal for those students who have no, limited, or an intermediate level of knowledge of finance but have a strong desire to learn and are keen to work in the finance industry in Hong Kong, China, and internationally.
- The degree will emphasize the important concepts, skills, and theoretical and institutional underpinnings of finance in Term 1 and more advanced topics and practical aspects in Term 2.
- The degree will provide an excellent background for students who wish to take the major professional qualifications in finance such as the CFA, CIIA, FRM, and CII designations.
More Postgraduate Programmes
- Master of Social Sciences in Health and Social Services Management
- Master of Social Sciences in Organisational Psychology and Education Management
- Master of Arts in International Higher Education and Management
- Master of Accountancy
- Master of Science in International and Development Economics
- Master of Arts in International Affairs (China-Africa Studies)
- Master of Cities and Governance
- Doctor of Policy Studies
- Postgraduate Diploma in Applied Social Science
- Master of Arts in International Affairs
- Master of Arts in Curating and Art History
- Postgraduate Diploma in Business
- Master of Social Sciences in Comparative Social Policy (International)
- Master of Arts in Chinese
- Master of Arts in Translation Studies
- Master of Science in Work and Organisational Psychology
- Master of Cultural Studies
- Master of Science in eBusiness and Supply Chain Management
- Master of Science in Human Resource Management and Organisational Behaviour
- Master of Science in International Banking and Finance
- Master of Science in Marketing and International Business