Lingnan University believes that the ethos of liberal arts education requires limited student numbers and an intimate campus setting.
For postgraduates, student-centred learning, one of the key values of liberal arts education, ensures close and supportive thesis supervision, while at the same time encouraging canfifates to exercise intellectual creativity in their research endeavours.
LU has earned a strong reputation through encouraging and requiring staff research, on the premise that far from depleting energies to be spent on teaching, research actually nourishes and inspires outstanding teaching.
LU’s research strengths
LU’s research strengths stretch across its three academic areas, i.e. humanities, social sciences and business studies. Staff publications include articles in premier journals and books published by prestigious academic presses, so that in the global academic scene, LU enjoys a growing reputation in research excellence at home and internationally.
Lingnan graduates are expected to possess the following attributes in terms of knowledge, skills and attitude.
- Systematic understanding of a field or fields of scholarship
- Original contributions to the field
- Competence in research and analysis
- Ability to critically assess intellectual claims, theories and arguments
- Capacity to produce a thesis that contributes to the knowledge and understanding of the field of learning within which the subject of the thesis falls
(the MPhil thesis shall represent a worthwhile contribution while the PhD thesis shall represent a substantial original contribution)
- Commitment to applying the knowledge acquired in the chosen field and conducting further research in an ethical and socially responsible manner