Internship/ Part-time Job
No Objection Letter (NOL)
Non-local students will receive a “No Objection Letter” (NOL) with their student visa from the Hong Kong Immigration Department. The NOL is a permission from the Director of Immigration for non-local students to take up internship, part-time on-campus employment or summer job during their study in Hong Kong. It is an important letter. Students should keep it carefully for future reference.
Employment Restriction for Non-local Students
Non-local full-time degree-seeking students whose study is not less than one academic year may take up internship, on-campus part-time jobs / summer jobs subject to the following conditions as set by the immigration Department:
- Internship (excluding summer internship / summer employment)
- The internships must be study / curriculum-related and be arranged or endorsed by the institutions they are studying in;
- The duration of the internship is up to one academic year, or one-third of the normal duration of the relevant full-time academic programme, whichever is the shorter; and
- There is no restriction on the nature of work, level of salary, location, number of working hours and employers for the internship arrangements.
- On-campus part-time job / summer internship / summer employment
- Part-time on-campus employment for not more than 20 hours per week throughout the year, unused hours are not allowed to roll over from one week to another; and
- Employment during summer months (between 1 June and 31 August, both dates inclusive) without limit in relation to working hours and location.
For more details, please refer to the website of Immigration Department.
Internship Opportunities Provided by the Office of Student Affairs
The Office of Student Affairs offers local and overseas summer internship opportunities to students who are keen to get work exposure. For overseas internships, application normally opens in the first term. For Mainland and local internships, application normally opens in the second term. For more details, please click HERE.
Apart from internship, the Career Advising Services team of the Office of Student Affairs also provides career mentorship, advising services and recruitment talks to help students to plan and develop their future careers.