All students admitted before 2015/16, Year 2 and Year 3 students admitted before 2016/17 and 2017/18 respectively are required to complete a minimum of 5 hours of training and 25 hours of service practicum in Civic Engagement as a graduation requirement. Office of Student Affairs will collaborate with Office of Service-Learning, academic departments, student societies and external organisations to offer Civic Engagement programmes.
- To apply the motto of Lingnan University – "Education for Service";
- To nurture students’ sense of civic responsibility and commitment in the community;
- To develop students’ leadership qualities and management skills;
- To build up students’ inter-cultural competence;
- To enhance students’ understanding and appreciation of the society, cultures and world issues; and
- To foster students’ personal growth. Learning Outcomes of the Civic Engagement
To assist students develop the attributes of an ideal Lingnan graduate, the learning outcomes of the students involved in the Civic Engagement are expected to be increased in their:
- Sense of commitment in caring and serving the community;
- Awareness and respect for diverse communities;
- Adeptness in social skills;
- Effective communication skills; and
- Problem-solving and organisation abilities.
All students admitted before 2015/16, Year 2 and Year 3 students admitted before 2016/17 and 2017/18 respectively are required to complete a minimum of 5 hours of training and 25 hours of service practicum in Civic Engagement as a graduation requirement. The training is about leadership skills, knowledge of civic and societal issues, competence development, etc. which prepare students for the service practicum. After the training, students can practise and learn through participating in community projects.
There are six routes that can help you fulfill the requirement of Civic Engagement. The CE opportunities are offered by the Office of Service-Learning (OSL), Office of Student Affairs (OSA), academic units, administrative units and student societies/clubs. Students can choose to fulfill the CE requirement by one of, or a combination of the opportunities to accumulate at least 5 hours of training and 25 hours of service practicum. (click here for plain text version)
G/F., Dorothy Y.L. Wong Building